Tuesday 14 June 2011

Key Remap for MacBook

I've been searching the net for days to find a solution for a keyboard problem I have on my MacBook.

Basically, for an unknown reason to me, the Caps Lock key is bound to Left arrow key and no matter which one of these two I press, I get both functions: Caps Lock changes ON/OFF and cursor moves to the left.

Similar, for Ctrl key and number 8 key, but not quite the same. When I press either of these two, I get only Ctrl function. This means I don't have number 8 or * in my keyboard. To say the least it's been very annoying and I just couldn't find any solution anywhere.

Today after repeated searching I stumbled upon this application KeyRemap4MacBook (http://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/index.html). First thing I'm going to do when I get home is install it and see what happens. I hope it will pick up the two sets of bonded keys and give me an option to either remove it or overwrite with a new setting. Fingers crossed...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Unfortunately KeyRemap4MacBook did not detect the bound keys and not matter how I was remapping these keys they were still bound together.

I found today another software which might help called Keyboard Maestro (http://www.keyboardmaestro.com/main/)...

I also need to check the Automator just in case there is something there that binds these keys together.

Unknown said...

This gave the idea to check the settings in Terminal Preferences: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/162896/emacs-on-mac-os-x-leopard-key-bindings