Wednesday 8 June 2011

Starting to develop for iPhone

I've been thinking for a while that it would be great to develop some little mini-apps for my iPhone/iPod. I'm a total Apple n00b but finally, I decided to bite the bullet and look into it.

First of all I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that I need to use Objective-C. I used to love programming on C some 20 years ago.

Then I looked in what I need:
  1. Mac computer, going to use MacBook.
  2. Sign up as to become registered iPhone developer... done in 2 minutes.
  3. Download the software development kit - got Xcode 3.2.6... long download...
  4. Then I realise that I have Leopard (OS X 10.5.x) so had to upgrade to Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.x) in order to use this version of Xcode.. oh well, ordered from Amazon Mac OS X version 10.6.3 Snow Leopard.
  5. Got some books:
    Programming in Objective-C 2.0 (2nd Edition) by Stephen G. Kochan
    Learn Objective-C on the Mac (Learn Series) by Mark Dalrymple, Scott Knaster
    Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK by Dave Mark, Jeff LaMarche 
  6. Bookmarked some links:
    iOS Dev Center
    Objective C Programming Language (Apple site)
    iDeveloper TV
So I'm ready to go. AppleWorld, here I come!

No comments: