Wednesday 23 March 2011

Nokia doesn't like m4a files

My Nokia 5800 XpressMusic will automatically include all mp3 files in the music library. Recently I manually copied some files (as partial sync is too fiddly) and when I went to play them noticed some songs were missing from the library. When I checked with the File Manager I found out that files were there but for some reason they were not showing in the Music Library. Checking the files noticed that all files missing were .m4a files and if  I open them from the File Manager they would open on OVI music player and would play fine. So I went back to the music player trying to find some setting somewhere which excludes any file that is not mp3 file, but there was hardly anything in the settings. So after a lot of fiddling I found an option in the menu which you only get on the first Music player screen "Refresh library"! Took a minute and bang, it found over 50 new songs.

So the lesson of the day is if you copy anything other than mp3 files make sure you hit Refresh library on the main menu.

No comments: