Wednesday 23 March 2011

Nokia OVI maps

I've had so much trouble with Nokia Ovi maps since I got my Nokia phone. Really pleased they decided to offer them free of charge to all Nokia users but for every praise I had curse. Last time I went to Paris I downloaded the map for France via home PC and made sure the phone is fully synced.

But unless I connected to internet it would not display any roads, basically maps were blank. Soon as I connected to internet it would start downloading tons of data which I assume is the maps of the area I was in. Needless to say this was mounting to cost me more than a dedicated GPS device with roaming charges and data. So had to give up on it and just use paper maps which was a real pain.

However, as an experiment I recently solved this problem. I know this is not what Nokia/Ovi suggests you to do but the for me the solution is to download maps directly to your phone via WiFi, not through the PC/USB. I've now disabled internet connection on the Ovi Map settings on the phone and can still get maps more or less instantly. Got there in the end. Not sure if it will fall apart when I connect the phone to the PC but I'm seriously considering not to use Ovi PC suite at all.

No comments: