Tuesday 21 June 2011

MonoTouch - use C# and .NET to create iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch applications

I was totally surprised when I stumbled upon MonoTouch today. Even more so when I read that it has been out for quite some time.

Basically: "MonoTouch allows developers to create C# and .NET based applications that run on Apple's iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch devices, while taking advantage of the iPhone APIs and reusing both code and libraries that have been built for .NET, as well as existing skills."

If you were developing using C#  and .NET like I was for the last 8 years then you'll be very happy with this news. Of course you will still need a Mac with Intel processor but you'd need that with Xcode too.


However, my enthusiasm faded immediately when I saw the prices:

Professional Enterprise Enterprise 5 Student
Develop iPhone/iPod Touch applications
checkmark-green.png
checkmark-green.png
checkmark-green.png
checkmark-green.png
Ad-hoc distribution
checkmark-green.png
checkmark-green.png
checkmark-green.png
checkmark-green.png
Commercial Use
checkmark-green.png
checkmark-green.png
checkmark-green.png
Apple AppStore distribution
checkmark-green.png
checkmark-green.png
checkmark-green.png
Enterprise distribution 
checkmark-green.png
checkmark-green.png
License expiration Never Never Never Never
Product updates 1 Year 1 Year 1 Year 1 Year
License Ownership 1 Named User 1 Seat 5 Seats 1 Seat
Price (USD)  $399  $999  $3,999  $99

I will try the demo but more likely I'll stick to Objective-C for now... at least until I can see how it goes taking one project from start to finish. I'm saying for now, but knowing me, by the time I'm rolling out apps I'll be used to Objectice-C and Xcode so I will not want to make a change.

No comments: