Wednesday 22 June 2011

Network Attached Storage (NAS) for home use


After several little scares that I recently had with my family photos and videos, I decided I need to shift and get some backup sorted.

First I looked into external USB drive but soon realised that Network Attached Storage (NAS) would suit me much better. In my household there are 2 desktop PCs, one notebook, one llaptop and one MacBook. Consuming LAN also are 2 xbox consoles, Wii console, 2 DS handhelds, 2 iPods and 2 smartphones too. So rather than sorting out the backup manually from each device into external USB drive, I decided to get a server sorted so I can backup and share data.

So I looked and searched anything I could find available for home use and in the end settled for QNAP TS-210 and 2 x 2Tb Seagate ST2000DL003 drives.Full package just under £260. Two external USB drives of 2Tb each would cost me in the region of £140 so almost half of what I paid for NAS but I felt that USB drives would just end up like extra storage and that's it - fragmented backup, poor file sharing, etc.

Here are some of the factors that made me decide to go for NAS:

Backup, backup, backup. With 2Gb (in Raid 1) should be able to backup all devices (not just one or two PCs). I should be able to sleep much better knowing that all my computers are backed up. Also organising backups will be much simpler since all devices will have hassle free access to NAS.

Streaming. Big bonus is the option to watch family videos from any device in the house. Or stream music to any device. Or build the DVD library easily accessible. I plan to use the main Sony Bravia TV, iPod, iPhone and Notebooks as and when needed.

Access. I want to be able to drop files in and get them out when ever and where ever I am. I can think of several times when I could do with this feature when I was at work, shopping, on holiday, etc.

Convenience. All devices can connect to it directly without having to have any particular PC switched on. Sharing the printer as well is a great bonus as I was getting really annoyed having to switch on the PC connected to the printer.Also having all photos, all videos and all music in one place is a great bonus too. With NAS all photos, videos will go in the same place. Same for music we buy online. It is going to be easier to organise too. Documents will be stored on it centrally too, so it won't matter any more which PC we were using last time we worked on a document.

1 comment:

TL said...

I got my ReadyNAS for exactly the very same reasons Dren.
see here